Mary Cemetery

The following graves can be found in this cemetery:

  • Mary (Curtis) Junkins, b. 1803, m. 1824 Thomas Junkins (1799-?), d. 1855
  • Elias7 Junkins, d. 1837, age 2, son of Thomas6 and Mary (Curtis) Junkins

Mary's gravesite was not known to Harry Alexander Davis when he compiled The Junkins Family[1], nor was the existance of the little boy Elias.

Thomas6 Junkins (1799-?) "married 1826 Mary Curtis, born 1803 and resided at York Corner where he engaged in farming." Thomas was the son of the once-jailed Samuel Junkins who took Olive Williams as his Cochranite wife, and whose story can be found on pp. 40-45 of The Junkins Family[1]. Samuel left Thomas one dollar in his will. Thomas' younger brother was Elias6, b. 1806, d. 1835/36. Apparently, Thomas and Mary named their son after this brother.


The day before the 1990 JFA reunion, Alan and Donald Junkins visited this cemetery and found it overgrown with vines and covered with rotten stumps. It was a totally neglected place with stones apparently missing.

In October, Roland Junkins found the missing stones of Mary (Curtis) Junkins and her two-year old son Elias7 (Thomas6. Samuel5, Samuel4, Joseph3, Alexander2, Robert1), under six inches of dirt and leaves after much use of cutting shears and elbow grease. On three of the four sides of the cemetery, Roland was able to restore the iron rods to their original shape and position in the granite corner posts, and although the fourth side rods were misshapen by a great tree that had grown up through them, he was able to pry them back into position with a crowbar. He reported that the tree had "torn it all around, grotesque." Roland also was able to use gravel to re-set the stones in their upright positions. He cleaned three feet around the perimeter of the square cemetery and left "a lovely evergreen tree" growing in the middle.

(See Junkins York Corner Cemetery Restored by Donald Junkins in JFA Newsletter no. 3, Winter 1990.)

1. Davis, Harry Alexander. The Junkins Family, Descendants of Robert Junkins of York County, Maine. Washington, D.C., 1938.
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License