Homestead Art

The Junkins Garrison House has long captured artist's imagination. For many years the building stood
stoutly atop a hill, overlooking South Berwick Road and the salt marshes of the York River. As the
building aged and deteriorated, it was captured by artists in varying stages of decay. Recent artists
have envisioned it in its original state and have breathed new life into the memory of this house. Now
only an empty and overgrown cellar hole, the garrison has a sister house less than a quarter of a mile
down the road, the McIntyre garrison.

To view the following works at full resolution, click on the image.

JFA-g1875-SML.jpg

In 1875 NE artist Susan Minot Lane painted a fanciful
garrison house occupied, with smoke gently wafting
from the chimney. This quaint view shows the house
without the 'L' addition as it was known to exist as
early as 1830.

Subsequently, illustrations after her painting were
included in school texts written and published by her
life partner, Charlotte Alice Baker.

JFA-g1875-Illustration-1.jpg
From the 1897 school textbook
True Stories of New England Captives
Carried to Canada During the Old French and Indian Wars
by By Charlotte Alice Baker
Published by Press of E.A. Hall & Co., 1897

The caption reads:

THE JUNKINS GARRISON HOUSE
BUILT IN 1675
From a painting by Susan Minot Lane, 1875

JFA-g1875-Illustration-2.jpg
A reprinting 2006 by
Kessinger Publishing, 2006
(ISBN 1428618694, 9781428618695)
showed this half-tone with the same caption.

The text reads:


The alarm of the Philip's war in 1675,
extending to the east-ward, the distressed
inhabitants built garrison houses against
Indian attack. Two, known as the Junkins
garrison and the McIntyre garison, were
standing on a hiltop in Scotland parish of
Old York as late as 1875. of the former not
a ves-tige now remains, except a panel
that forms a cupboard door in Frary house.
JFA-g1875-Illustration-3.jpg
In 1875 NE artist Susan Minot Lane painted a fanciful
garrison house occupied, with smoke gently wafting
from the chimney. This quaint view shows the house
without the 'L' addition as it was known to exist as
early as 1830.
JFA-g1800-photograph.jpg
A photograph published in the textbook
The Border Wars of New England:
Commonly Called King William's and Queen Anne's Wars
by Samuel Adams Drake
Published in 1910
Pg. 75

I believe this is actually a photograph of the
McIntyre garrison, located just across Rt 91
and down about 200 yards. A close analysis
shows enough differences to indicate this,
such as the white trimmed windows and the
stone wall (there is no indication there was
ever a stone wall in front of the Junkins
garrison).

Additionally, this photograph is extremely
clear in comparrison with the HABS photo-
graph (below) which shows severe deter-
ioration by 1875, while this is in very good
contition.

JFA-g1875-Illustration-4.jpg

From an illustrated text book entitled
Introductory History of the United States
By California State Text-book Committee, California,
State Text-book Committee
Compiled by California State Text-book Committee
Published by W.W. Shannon, 1905

The illustration was clearly made from the
photograph above.

JFA-g1875-WH.jpg
Undoubtedly the most famous artist to be inspired by
the garrison was the American landscape painter and
printmaker Winslow Homer (1836-1910), who painted
this oil of the Junkins garrison in July of 1875.
The painting is currently in the reserve storage of the
Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York
City, and is in need of serious repair. Homer was pre-
dominantly known for his watercolor paintings but
many of his olis are in the Cooper-Hewitt collection.
JFA-g1890-HABS.jpg
This unatributed photograph is in the Library
of Congress' Historic American Buildings
Survey collection. It's title is "Junkins Garrison
House, South Berwick Road (State Route 91),
York, York County, ME" It is a 4x5 in. photograph.

The subject is:


Historic American Buildings Survey Print of
Old Photo Showing Remains of Junkins
Garrison (Built about 1700 near the McIntire
Garrison. Traces of the foundation of the
Junkins Garrison can still be seen.)
JFA-g1890.jpg
A small pencil sketch of the Junkins garrison
housed at the Museums of Old York (formerly
the Old York Historical Society). Date and
artists are unknown at this time.
JFA-g1985.jpg
A pen and marker illustration of the Junkins
garrison house, envisioned partially re-
constructed, based on the HABS photograph
(above). The artists is JFA founder Alan D.
Junkins who is a graphic designer and
illustrator. The work was created in 19xx,
shortly before{after} he acquired the property
on which the garrison house stood, and
built his own home.
JFA-g1992.jpg
A stained lath work in the style of North
American folk art, also based on the HABS
photograph. The artists is Ken Junkins who
is a set designer and watercolorist. The work
was created in 19xx as a present to his mother
and father Betty and Alan Junkins, on the oc-
caision of their new house in York, Maine.
JFA-guk-OYHS.jpg
An oil painting of the Junkins garrison
The artist and year are unknown. This
painting is in the Museums of Old York
collection and is often displayed in the
Roland Junkins/ York Families heritage Room.
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License